Roland DG transforms imagination into reality with new Applications Wall
The Roland DG Academy courses have been a useful and popular resource for our customers to learn about Roland DG products, how to get the best out of the technology and the processes involved in various design and print processes.
The feature wall was the idea of Academy and Creative Centre Manager Joe Wigzell, who created the eye-catching application wall to demonstrate elements of the design and creation process and the kind of results that can be achieved with Roland DG products.
Using the company’s tagline ‘Transforming Your Imagination Into Reality’ across a multitude of printed media, Joe constructed the application wall in the lobby of the Roland DG UK headquarters.
"I really wanted to inspire guests visiting our headquarters and capture the imagination of dealers, customers and colleagues about what can be achieved using Roland DG technology.
"By demonstrating how the design process works, from initial sketches through to application and merging a range of technologies I wanted to create an embodiment of our ethos ‘Transforming your imagination into reality’."
The applications that Joe utilised to produce each element of the wall are listed below, together with the Roland DG technology which made the solution possible:
- TRAN SFOR M ING: representing a design to output process – Sketch pad, to digital on computer monitor with Adobe Illustrator screen shot printed, matte laminated and mounted. Stika Desktop Cutter cutting output on an Avery Denison metallic red wrap film.
- Picture frame printed on the TrueVIS VG-640 onto an Arlon gold vinyl mounted onto 5mm foam board
- Wall graphic (clouds) printed on the SolJet EJ-640 High Volume Printer onto Metamark wall art film
- Y = VersaUV LEF-200 print onto a notebook, CMYK plus gloss emboss details/texture on crocodile skin
O = VersaUV LEF-12i print onto a CD
U = VersaUV LEF-200 print direct to a pre-made canvas
R = White>cmyk print onto a clear iPad cover
- Imagination: Printed onto a backlit film 2x overpint on the TrueVIS VG-640, mounted into a custom cut backlit panel with silver vinyl trim. The background is the colour cutout from the B&W cloud image
- INTO was designed in MoI (Moment of Inspiration v3.0) and milled using the MODELA MDX-540 Benchtop Milling Machine using Vectric’s software Aspire 9.0
R = Banner print hemmed and eyeletted
E = puzzle printed on the VersaUV LEF-300
A = Reverse print image CMYK>White, front print White>CMYK with Gloss emboss on the VersaUV LEF-300 mounted on stand-offs
L = Dye-sublimated flag style print from the Texart XT-640 Dye-Sublimation Printer, pressed using Adkins calendar press, mounted onto a display pole
I = Wooden cut-out part – MODELA MDX-540 Benchtop Milling Machine
T = dye-sublimated polo shirt, printed on the Texart XT-640, pressed on a SEFA heat press
Y = White>CMYK print on the VersaUV LEF-300 direct to a hardback A3 book